Communications Manager, Los Angeles - TIME’S UP
TIME’S UP is looking for a Communications Manager to implement media relations strategies that inform and influence key audiences on TIME’S UP’s culture change and influencer engagement initiatives. Reporting directly to the VP of Communications, you will help oversee our culture storytelling and campaigns strategies, while executing daily communication tactics to enhance, and demonstrate, the impact of TIME’S UP. The Communications Manager should have a demonstrated excellence in multi-channel communications campaigns management, with particular experience producing material for the media, responding to media requests, preparing high-impact spokespeople, and proactively securing placements in a variety of media outlets.
What You’ll Do:
- Own earned media strategies that supports TIME’S UP’s objectives related to culture change and industry change (with an emphasis on entertainment and advertising sectors) by identifying and creating opportunities to elevate TIME’S UP and its surrogates in local, national and digital media.
- Supervise day-to-day work of PR agencies related to culture and entertainment industry.
- Support communications initiatives by drafting pitches, press releases, statements, advisories, op-eds, talking points, briefings, message guidance, fact sheets, blog posts, advisories, remarks, roundups, reports and more.
- Create and maintain a media contacts database of key journalists, columnists and editors, and take responsibility for forging and maintaining strategic relationships.
- Create and maintain a database of high-impact surrogates and influencers, and take responsibility for building and maintaining strategic relationships.
- Monitor media coverage and keep TIME’S UP leadership and staff up to date on breaking news, earned media opportunities, and important developments through daily clips and campaign reports.
- Manage events and editorial calendar, including writing impact and recap stories, outlining schedule, managing creative materials development, and recommending overall topics for storytelling.
- Proactively identify and deploy ways to disseminate key messages and build awareness of TIME’S UP to a diverse group of audiences.
- Assist in the development, coordination and execution of events that support the goals of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or other related field.
- 5+ years of experience working directly with members of the media, managing communications plans, and/or as a journalist, ideally in culture or entertainment industry or surrogate management.
- Motivated self-starter with excellent verbal/written communication skills, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to quickly develop in-depth knowledge of key influencers and surrogates involved with TIME’S UP and a desire to continue to cultivate them.
- Deep understanding of media and the workings of newsrooms and interview processes for both print and broadcast.
- Existing relationships with members of the entertainment press and extensive knowledge of news media operations, including print, online, blogs and broadcast (encompassing cable, new media, podcasts, and other multimedia platforms).
- Experienced and comfortable with public speaking and cold calling reporters.
- Experience with media training specifically for broadcast and television.
- Familiarity with national and state media outlets, proven knowledge of media trends, and strong sense of how to generate favorable traction in media.
- Based in Los Angeles, CA.
- Starting salary of $75,000, commensurate with experience
- Women-inspired workplace.
- TIME’S UP is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter that details your relevant communications experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!